Just two days after releasing iOS 14.3 with several significant new features like ProRAW photos and Fitness+, Apple started the beta testing process for iOS 14.4. While this is a full point-release number than a minor one (e.g. iOS 14.3.1), there are very few significant user-facing changes.
Update 01/21/21: Apple has delivered the Release Candidate for iOS 14.4 to developers and public beta testers. The final release will likely be available to all next week.
What’s new in iOS 14.4
The full release notes for iOS 14.4 are as follows:
- Smaller QR codes can be recognized by Camera
- Option to classify Bluetooth device type in Settings for correct identification of headphones for audio notifications
- Notifications for when the camera on your iPhone is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple camera in iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Image artifacts could appear in HDR photos taken with iPhone 12 Pro
- Fitness widget may not display updated Activity data
- Typing may be delayed and word suggestions may not appear in the keyboard
- The keyboard may not come up in the correct language in Messages
- Audio stories from the News app in CarPlay may not resume after being paused for spoken directions or Siri
- Enabling Switch Control in Accessibility may prevent phone calls from being answered from the Lock Screen
How to get iOS 14.4
Open Settings, then tap on General, then Software Update. When the release is available, it will be shown here in link to install it.